Question IPb on vps or shared hosting

Wex56

Registered+
SN Confirmed Member
What is recommended to use for ipb, vps or shared web hosting

Aceblade0

If it's a small community then a shared hosting platform works just fine. I've always had a VPS as I host multiple websites and I enjoy having full control of my servers settings however.

DaNnIbOi

I've had a board with over 457,000 members on a shared server and it never failed! If you want me to send you the link to the hosting, PM me :)

Yondu

SN Donator
SN Donator
SN Confirmed Member
It depends on how big your forum is members, posts,etc..

If you got a lot then I quickly say something like a VPS but I think there are some shared hosting ones who are also good enough to handle it.

Wamphyri

ScriptzNull~Admin
SN Confirmed Member
actually it depends if you wish to manage the server or if you would rather have some one else manage the server. both would run IPB just fine even on larger scaled forums. Its really more depended on how much access you wish to the backend. I would personally recommend shared web hosting for you because then its some one else choir to deal with the security and stuff.

Facknrite

If it's a small community then a shared hosting platform works just fine. I've always had a VPS as I host multiple websites and I enjoy having full control of my servers settings however.
I will second that, VPS for bigger and better control of your site. There are some hosting providers that cry about running big communities.

Sean82206

I third the VPS for bigger and complete control. However, with control comes responsibility. I don't run big sites at all. I use shared hosting and the only issue I've had is not being able to install a couple scripts that run on Perl, because they require things that only a VPS can provide. I ended up choosing other software. VPS can be expensive, but they're built tough and for large sites or sites that need very specific parameters set up.

samswenty

Registered+
SN Confirmed Member
I'm on shared hosting and Ips runs fine, it all depends on your traffic I guess.

Tricky

Registered+
SN Confirmed Member
Iv had mine oh shared hosting for many years never had an issue.